- Initiate and undertake various aspects of ocean and earth science related research including science and technology, public policy and law, socio-economic development, environment, geography, history, political science and international relations.
- Facilitate collaboration within the University of Malaya and with local and international institutions in multidisciplinary research, training and education, and technology development.
- Facilitate and provide postgraduate education and professional training in relevant areas.
- Provide advice and consultancy for management and policy decisions on sustainable development of coastal and marine resources, and the environment.
- Publish and disseminate research outputs in journals, monographs and bulletins.
- Facilitate in the development of new products and patents arising from ocean and earth science research, in collaboration with the government and industries.